Ricotta Eggplant Casserole
Ricotta Eggplant CasseroleCourse: MainCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
14 oz. fresh ricotta cheese 400 g
1.5 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided into 1 cup + 1/2 cup
3 cups tomato passata or marinara
2 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, chopped
2 tsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 430F/220C. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Remove ends of eggplants and cut into thin slices, lengthwise. Place onto baking sheet in a single layer.
- Spray with olive oil and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Bake for 25 minutes then remove from oven and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together tomato passata, 1 tablespoon of oregano and 2 teaspoons of basil.
- In another bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup parmesan, eggs and the remaining oregano (1 tablespoon). Set aside.
- In a 9×13′ baking dish, arrange one layer of eggplant, one layer of tomato sauce and one layer of cheese mixture. Repeat the process. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan (1/2 cup).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. If casserole starts browning too much, reduce oven temperature to 355F (180C).
- Remove from oven, cool slightly and then slice. Serve!