Spiced Roasted Eggplant Shakshuka
Spiced Roasted Eggplant ShakshukaCourse: Dinner, BrunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
2 medium or 3 small eggplant
1 red chili, finely chopped
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 x 400g can of tomatoes in puree
olive oil to brush
3 garlic cloves , crushed
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1/3 cup chopped coriander
1 tablespoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
coriander, extra, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
feta, to serve
spinach, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare a large (or 2 small) baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Slice eggplant into 1cm thick rounds. Brush with olive oil and place, in a single layer, on baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning half way through, so both sides are cooked evenly.
- Combine garlic, parsley, coriander, paprika, cumin and chili in a medium bowl.
- When done, remove eggplant from oven. Chop into smaller pieces, and add to spice mix. Stir to combine.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large frypan on low heat. Add chopped onion and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and cook a further 5 minutes to soften
- Add canned tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Add eggplant spice mixture to pan. Stir to combine, and bring to a simmer.
- Add brown sugar, lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Form small hollows in mixture; using a spoon, and crack an egg into each. Sprinkle with crumbled feta. Cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle extra fresh coriander on top.
- Serve with crusty ciabatta bread and spinach (optional). Enjoy!