Smashed Sweet Potatoes
This is my new favorite side dish (and snack). Smashed Sweet Potatoes. Sweet potatoes cut into thick rounds, tossed with a mixture of butter, garlic and thyme and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, baked until fork tender, and smashed and broiled until golden and crispy. These rounds are finished off with sprinkles of grated parmesan on top. Loaded with flavors and pretty cute, these rounds get my kids and I hooked. Yummy!
Smashed Sweet PotatoesCourse: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
If you are findings something good and fun to make with sweet potatoes, these smashed sweet potatoes are right up your street.
2 large sweet potatoes, or 3 medium sweet potatoes
small pinch nutmeg
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 c. butter, melted
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. thyme leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F and slice potatoes into 1” thick rounds.
- Add butter, garlic and thyme to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour butter mixture onto potato rounds and toss until coated. Lay sweet potatoes in an even layer on a large baking sheet, about 1” apart.
- Bake until fork tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn oven broiler to medium. Using a fork, potato masher, or flat bottom of a glass, smash potato slices. Broil 3 to 5 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan. Serve immediately!