Baked Eggplant Parmesan and Mozzarella
Baked Eggplant Parmesan and MozzarellaCourse: Main, DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup finely-grated Parmesan cheese
1 (25 ounce) jar DeLallo Tomato Basil Pomodoro Fresco Tomato Sauce
1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, homemade or store-bought
1/2 cup loosely-packed chopped or julienned fresh basil
cooking spray (or olive oil)
- Generously sprinkle eggplant rounds with salt. Let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse salt of with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine Panko breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until smooth.
- Dip eggplant round, one at a time, on both sides in whisked egg mixture, then in breadcrumb mixture until completely coated, then arrange on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until breadcrumbs are toasted and slightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce evenly over bottom of an 11 x 8-inch baking dish. Place in half of eggplant in a (mostly) even layer along. Spread with 1 cup of tomato sauce evenly over eggplant. Then sprinkle with 1 cup Mozzarella cheese evenly over the sauce, followed by 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, followed by 1/4 cup of the fresh basil. Repeat the process.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and starts to turn slightly golden around edges, and sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining basil. Serve immediately!