Eggplant, Caramelized Onion and Tomato Pasta
Eggplant, Caramelized Onion and Tomato PastaCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 large eggplant
1 lb. penne
2 cups tomato sauce
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
red pepper flakes
1 handful basil leaves, chiffonade or chopped
1 handful parsley leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut eggplants into cubes, about 3/4 inch, toss with a little olive oil and place in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 25 minutes or until just browned.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook for just a minute, and then add a splash or two of sherry vinegar to pan.
- Add in eggplant, tomato sauce, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook the sauce until simmer. Pour in pasta, and toss gently.
- Stir in basil and half the parsley. Serve with a little sprinkle of the chopped parsley.