Grilled Eggplant with Garlic-Cumin Vinaigrette, Feta, and Herbs
Grilled Eggplant with Garlic-Cumin Vinaigrette, Feta, and HerbsCourse: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 large eggplants, cut in uniform slices 3/4 inch thick
1/2 cup crumbled Feta (or more)
1-2 tsp salt, to toss eggplant.
2 tbsp. olive oil, to brush eggplant
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- For Vinaigrette
1 tsp garlic puree or finely minced garlic
2 tbsp. shallots or red onion, finely minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
generous pinch Aleppo Pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Spike Seasoning
6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut ends off eggplants and cut into slices 3/4 inches thick.
- Lay out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for 20 minutes, or until beads of water released. Flip over, sprinkle other side with salt and let sit for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat gas or charcoal barbecue grill to medium high
- Combine garlic, salt, lemon juice, and shallots or red onion into food processor, pulse until well combined, then let sit for 10 minutes. Pour mixture in a small bowl, stir in ground cumin, Aleppo or Cayenne pepper, and Spike Seasoning (if using). Whisk in olive oil.
- Wash fresh herbs in a salad spinner, if needed and finely chop. Crumble Feta cheese into a small bowl.
- Wipe water (and salt) away from eggplant with dry paper towel and place on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil on both sides.
- Lay eggplant slices on grill and grill for 3-4 minutes. Turn over and grill for another 3-4 minutes on the other side, or until it’s done to your liking.
- Arrange eggplant on a serving tray or baking sheet. Drizzle with garlic-cumin vinaigrette, and sprinkle with crumbled feta and herbs.
- Serve immediately!