Ground Beef and Rice with Veggies
Ground Beef and Rice with VeggiesCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
1 lb. ground beef, lean
1 red capsicum/ bell pepper, diced
1 1/4 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
2 cups beef broth, low sodium
2 cups diced frozen veggies
3 big handfuls baby spinach (3 oz.), or other leafy greens
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp EACH cumin, black pepper
1 tsp each onion powder, dried oregano
1 dried bay leaf
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot over high heat. Add onion, capsicum and garlic, and fry for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and cook until brown, crumbling as you cook.
- Stir in tomato paste, salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in rice and beef broth until well combine. Add frozen veggies and bay leaf, then stir.
- Cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 12 – 15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and rice is just cooked, but still wet.
- Remove from heat. Quickly toss spinach on top of the rice and put lid back on. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice and mix through wilted spinach with a fork. Adjust salt, if desired.