Skinny Eggplant Rollatini
This Skinny Eggplant Rollatini is insanely good and low in carb, making it popular among homemade food lovers and eggplant fans. My family have craving for it right after tasting. It’s loaded with flavors and great to serve as an appetizer, side dish, oven a full meal. Those who are finding something healthy and less-carb for dinner, should never miss this. It works well with me and my husband!
Eggplant are cut into thin slices, lengthwise, placed in a singer layer in a baking sheet (spread with tomato sauce at the bottom), generously spread with a mixture of ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, spinach, egg and garlic. Eggplant slices are then rolled up in a wrap, topped with more tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, finally baked in the oven until golden brown and cheese is melted. Ready to serve. Who can resist them?
To enjoy a better taste of eggplant, you should brush it with some salt and let it sit for 30 minutes or up to an hour. By doing so, you can excess the moisture and bitterness of the eggplant. As this Rollatini is ready in an hour and a half, you may spend this dish for Friday’s dinner and weekend’s meals. Let’s check it out!
Skinny Eggplant RollatiniCourse: Appetizers, Main, SnacksCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
This Skinny Eggplant Rollatini is insanely good and low in carb, making it popular among homemade food lovers and eggplant fans. My family have craving for it right after tasting. It’s loaded with flavors and great to serve as an appetizer, side dish, oven a full meal.
2 large eggplants
9 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
1 cup (9 oz.) reduced fat ricotta
1 1/2 cups shredded light mozzarella, divided in 1/2 cup and 1 cup
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
1 clove garlic germ removed, minced
1 cup tomato passata or marinara
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Remove ends of eggplants, slice into thinly slice, lengthwise. Place in single layer onto baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together ricotta, mozzarella (1/2 cup), parmesan, spinach, egg and garlic. Mix well and season to taste.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on bottom of a large baking dish.
- Generously spread each eggplant slice with ricotta/spinach mixture (about two heaped tablespoons), roll up and place in prepared dish, seam side down. Repeat until no eggplant remains.
- Top with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Cover with foil, reduce temperature to 350F and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes, until cheese is golden brown. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.