30-Minute Mongolian Beef Stir Fry
My family have craving for beef! As a homemade food lover, I love trying a new meal with beef every month. And, this time is 30-Minute Mongolian Beef Stir Fry. It is introduced to me by a Chinese friend. It’s her “to-go” dinner when she is short on time. Amazingly, it tastes so good and gets her family hooked. Then, I have no reason to refuse it for our meal. I give it a try right after getting the recipe and it successfully satisfy our taste buds.
Beef strips are tossed in corn starch, fried with oil until brown and just cooked, then mixed with cooked bell peppers, broccoli florets, water chestnuts and green onions. They are then cooked in a flavorful Chinese sauce of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, grated ginger root, crushed chili paste and water. The stir fry is done when beef and vegetables are tossed in sauce. Yummy!
If you are finding something savory yet easy to cook for dinner, this Mongolian beef stir fry is right up your street. Serving it with white rice, quinoa, or noodles, you will have a delicious and nutritious meal. Ready to let it appear at your dining table? Let’s get started!
30-Minute Mongolian Beef Stir FryCourse: MainCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
Beef strips are tossed in corn starch, fried with oil until brown and just cooked, then mixed with cooked bell peppers, broccoli florets, water chestnuts and green onions. They are then cooked in a flavorful Chinese sauce of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, grated ginger root, crushed chili paste and water.
1½ lbs. flank steak, cut across the grain into ¼-inch strips
3 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- For sauce
⅓ c. hoisin sauce
⅓. c. low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cloves minced garlic
¼ tsp. fresh grated ginger root (or paste)
½ tsp. crushed chili paste or chili flakes
½ c. water
- For vegetables
1 c. chopped bell peppers
1 head broccoli, cut into florets and lightly steamed
½ c. sliced water chestnuts
3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Toss beef strips in corn starch and let them rest oon cutting board for 15 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and lightly sauté for a minute, then add ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour remaining ingredients for sauce in pan and let simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce begins to reduce or thicken. Keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add beef, in 2-3 batches, and fry until brown and just cooked. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining beef.
- Add vegetables and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Bring beef back to skillet. Add prepared sauce, stir until combined together, for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice or noodles. Enjoy!