Spicy Jamaican Jerk Spiced Grilled Eggplant
Spicy Jamaican Jerk Spiced Grilled EggplantCourse: Sides, AppetizersCuisine: JamaicanDifficulty: Easy
- For Eggplant
1 large eggplants (or sub 2 small per 1 large)
3 stalks green onions or scallions, thinly sliced
1 medium serrano or habanero pepper, thinly sliced and seeds removed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsp. fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic, minced (~2 tbsp. minced garlic per 4 cloves)
1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
3 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 cup tamari or coconut aminos
2-3 tbsp. coconut sugar or maple syrup (plus more to taste)
2 tbsp. melted coconut oil (or grape seed or avocado oil // plus more for grilling)
- For Sauce (optional)
1/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce
1 tbsp. grape seed or olive oil
1 tbsp. coconut sugar or maple syrup
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine cinnamon, coriander, all spice, cayenne, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, ginger, lime juice, tamari, coconut sugar, coconut oil, green onions or scallions, and serrano / habanero pepper in a small mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Slice eggplant, lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick “steaks”. Generously brush both sides with marinade.
- Heat up a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Lightly grease with oil.
- Place eggplant slices on grill, and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and grill marks are present.
- To make sauce, add BBQ sauce, lime juice, oil, coconut sugar / maple syrup, ginger, salt, pepper, onion, and cayenne pepper to a small and whisking to combine. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Once done, remove eggplant from grill, transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve over rice, over cauliflower rice, or with sauce (optional).
- Garnish with fresh herbs, such as parsley or green onion. Serve warm!
- For the leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.