Inside Out Red Velvet Cookies
Finding something sweet and tangy to jazz up your snack? These Inside Out Red Velvet Cookies are right up your street. Red velvet cookie dough filled with cream cheese, powder sugar and kosher salt mixture, then rolled into balls, and baked until cooked through. As these’re quite fun to make, you can let your kids involve in the making if they’re get interested in. I tried with my kids and we had a lot of fun together!
Inside Out Red Velvet CookiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
These inside out red velvet cookies are great for weekend gatherings and small parties. They’re a “must-serve” treat for Christmas of my family.
- FOR COOKIE DOUGH
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp. red food coloring
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 all-purpose flour
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
- FOR CREAM CHEESE FILLING
1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar
Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- To make cheesecake filling: Add cream cheese, powdered sugar, and salt to a small bowl. Mix until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until slightly firm, about 30 minutes.
- To make cookie dough: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, food coloring, and vanilla until incorporated. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- To make cookies: Scoop a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and flatten into a pancake-like circle on the baking sheet.
- Add about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese filling on top. Bring the edges of the dough around the filling and pinch the edges together to seal, adding more dough if necessary to cover completely, then roll the filled dough into a ball. Space cookies about 3″ apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.